Search This Blog

Contact me

Email sbeauchaine@kc.rr.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Stamping with Acrylic Paint ~ Ashley Newell style


Have you ever stamped with acrylic paint, on canvas for a card front?  I never tried it until I saw This post .  First let me say my card does not hold a candle to hers, Ashley's is beautiful.  These 2 are my first attempts.  I did purchase some Making Memories paint after I tried this with my old stash of craft paint from my boys Cub Scout days.  I haven't tried to make anymore cards with this technique, but I will.  Just to let you know, you can buy canvas by the yard at Hobby Lobby.  I bought about  1/2 yard and was lucky enough that is was on sale when I got it.  Be sure and check the laces & trims when you are there, especially if you like the cards on previous posts. 
These cards are 5x7 white cardstock, greeting card sized.  The mat is 4 1/2x 6 1/2.  The canvas piece is about 4x6 on the top card and a little smaller on the bottom one.  You want to tear the canvas so it has the ragged edges.  I painted on a base of paint and let it dry.  I them smeared a bit of creamy colored paint on the top one and gold on the bottom one.  Just enough to add some additional texture.  Ashley suggests that you use a stamp that has areas of solid rubber and are not to fine detailed or intricate.  I chose my  Hero Arts Life of the Party Dots background stamp.  I covered my stamp in contrasting acrylic paint and stamped it directly onto the painted canvas piece.  My disappointment in my cards is not my technique but more the colors of paint I had available.  I will try the new paint I bought and post those cards when I do.  I used some wide pieces of vintage lace and tied dyed seam binding around the canvas.  Buttons threaded with bakers twine, additional buttons and pearls on the bottom one were added.  They both have sentiments stamped on PTI Double Ended Banner made with white cardstock.
Try this technique, it is fun.  Be sure and check out Ashley's card, it is so pretty!
Thank you for looking at my blog!
Susan

2 comments:

  1. WOW......STUNNING SUSAN!!!!! I LOVE the canvas - woooo hoooo!!! You're such an inspiration!! Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say these cards are stunning! You do such good work!

    ReplyDelete