Search This Blog

Contact me

Email sbeauchaine@kc.rr.com

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Make It Monday #79: Fabric Die Cuts



Melissa Phillips is making her Make-It-Monday video debut with a handy little tutorial about using fabric with your dies. It opens up a whole other world of texture for your projects.


edited: I tell a story of my sons old boxer shorts. I got ahead of myself and didn't mention:
1. I threw out the boxers due to my poor cutting technique!
2. This fabric is NOT old boxers! My boys would have never worn those!!! 





I hate posting 2 cards on the same day. But I got my Make it Monday done and the Blog Hop is Saturday, so.....
I REALLY wanted to just copy Melissa's card ~ I LOVED it, but I refrained. I went to my old standby, Mat Stack 3. It layers so nicely.
OK, true confession time. I don't sew so I have very little fabric. I had a bunch of my boys old boxers that had patterns that I liked so I saved them! They were washed, so DON'T judge me! I had a TERRIBLE time cutting them with my dies because, well I was stupid and did not know you needed to back the fabric! THANK YOU, Melissa! I am so happy. I have a can of spray adhesive (that I haven't used in 10 years because it is messy and smells bad!) but let me tell you it works like a charm! I had this piece of fabric and it cut like buttah! I will definitely buy more. 
The card base is 4 1/4x5 1/2 white card stock. I layered a piece of Enchanted Evening card stock that I had stamped with Damask Designs in VersaMark. I used my card stock backed fabric to cut Mat Stack 3 & the large and small Notched Flower die. The Medium was used to cut Enchanted Evening card stock. They were layered and an Enchanted Evening button was threaded and adhered to the flower. Signature Greetings II was inked in Enchanted Evening ink. A satin bow was tied around the base of the embellishment. 
I cannot wait to get some really pretty fabric and make the card Melissa did with the Fabulous Frames die that I just got in my order yesterday!
Thank you for looking at my blog!
Be sure and look at my Foodie Chocolate bar card I posted earlier!
Susan

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Loved your boy's boxer story. The mat stacks are a fav of mine too. They never fail me. Darling card. Beautiful background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you telling us that the cute floral print above is actually a pair of boxer shorts? Hahaha! I'm sure your sons will be happy that you shared that little story. hahahahaha.

    The card is adorable. I haven't tried this technique yet, but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable cards.

    Try as I might, I cannot imagine your boys wearing floral boxers! Have I mentioned just how much I love all 3 of those guys? I miss them all so much.

    ReplyDelete